Sunday, August 21, 2005

Part 1: Chapter 4: Why do we do the things we do?

During the walk back, Razz accompanied Helena back to the student’s dormitory. Although Helena seemed like an independent girl, Razz just felt like it was only proper to walk her back after that match; with bruises and all. Razz pushed his bike while Helena was on his left. The walkway was litted brightly, accompanying their walk.

“Hey, thanks for the drink,” Helena smiled, looking at him.
“I thought you were just joking when you said you didn’t have any money on you” Razz acted annoyed. “I had barely enough money to pay for that drink just now, you know”

Helena giggled. Sometimes, she just loved to do things like that to Razz because she knew he wouldn’t mind that much. The most that he would do was getting a little bit worked up and then he will forget about it the next day.

“Razz…” she paused. She looked towards the path of the walkway as she spoke to him. “Why are you still friends with me?”

Razz was a bit taken back. He looked at her.
“Why are you asking me that all of a sudden?”

“I don’t know…” she shrugged. “I just want to know, that’s all. Can I?”

“Actually, someday, I think I’ll dedicate a book especially just for the sake of telling you the things that I couldn’t tell you straight in the face” he smiled. “To put it simply, you’re just so easy to be friends with. You could light up a room just by walking into it. People could relate to you very well and you could blend in just as easily…which is, the exact opposite of me”

“Hey, you’re not so bad…” she tapped him lightly on the back with her Blitz glove.

“No, really. I’m a nobody before I met you for the first time. Didn’t even care that much about all the happenings around me. I don’t even know the name of that guy that lived right across me in the dormitory. Came to lectures, and then back to the dorm. Rinse, and repeat”

“So are you saying, after we’ve been friends, you’re somebody now?” she smiled slyly.

“Still a nobody,” he smiled back. “But a nobody that’s a little bit more happy to be here…and a nobody with something to believe in…even though, sometimes I felt as if you’re not really serious in keeping your promises with me.”

“Hey, I said I was sorry okay?” she pouted, raising her right eyebrow.

“Yes, I know, I didn’t say I mind did I?” he looked up on the beautiful moon lit sky. “I’ve never really think about it when people does that to me. There’s really no point in thinking into it that much. Because, when you always think about what people did to you, what you wanted people to be able to do for you, what they didn’t do for you, you’ll waste half your life just thinking about stuff you can’t control and do anything about…” Razz looked at Helena. “When in fact, we could just enjoy what we’re having now, here at this moment and time.” He continued.

Helena smiled. She gazed upon the stars in the sky.

“Although….” Razz stopped for a while on the walkway, leaned his bike on one of the light poles. He crouched down to redo his shoelaces.

“What, Razz?”

“Sometimes, I just wondered why do you act as if you barely knew me when we’re in with a crowd of friends?” Razz continued, still twiddling with the laces. “You know, one minute, we could just joke around over a can of soda, talk about stuff and all, but another time around, when you’re in the crowd, I felt as if we’re like total strangers that barely knew each other”. Standing up, he continued. “But then again, probably it’s just me.” He smiled, taking his bike by the light pole and continued to walk.

A moment of silence engulfed both of them as they were approaching the dormitory building. The walkway was then spread out into a small intersection, one path leading towards the boy’s dormitory while the other one towards the girl’s.

“Well I guess, I’ll be seeing you huh?” Razz said, breaking the silence.

“Uh…yeah,” Helena replied, resting her Blitz equipment on her left shoulder. “What about that spell that you needed to learn?”

“Oh, that? I guess I have a crack at some books before going to sleep tonight. Miss Eliza won’t be happy if I didn’t know how to execute that spell by tomorrow evening.” He smiled.

“I promised next time I’ll help.”

“Don’t make a promise Lene, it’ll only make you feel burdened.” Razz said, mounted his bike preparing to go. “If it was meant to be, it will be, right?” He smiled again before going into the other direction on his bike.

Helena looked on as Razz disappeared farther on the path. He could see Razz raised his right hand saying good-bye. Razz’s question was left unanswered as they parted for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home